Abridged History of the 10th Age
Timekeeping in Anurë is fairly standard since the invocation of the Grand Conclave by the infamous wizard Crisby. Following a format laid out in the Third Age (purportedly by the vanished Mileneans), the year is divided into four seasons (every four years, a fifth one-day season called No Moon is added for calendrical correction) and the roll of years is broken up into Ages.
Years are denoted by the Age they took place in (I-X) followed by the year in that age. For example, it is currently X501. In many cases, the Age will be dropped (everyone knows it is the Tenth Age, for example), leaving the date as simply 501.
I-I – No human being or demi-human lived during this period of the Gods and the Archomentals. Therefore, no dating is possible here. It is rumored that during these ages Giants, Trolls, and Wyrms roamed the lands.
II-II – We have no dates for this period, but it is undoubtedly the time when the Elves and Dwarves were created; they were given the First Weapons (Naegling the sword to the elves, and the Hammer of Eternities and Axe of Woe to the Dwarves). Also the period of the Dwarf Giant War.
III1 – ~III1500 – The Third Age heralded the coming of mannish kingdoms to the North, the alliance between Men and the elves of the Greatwood, the foundation of Miles and the raising of the Pillar. The following cultures were dominant amongst men in this age: the Men of High Aellon (now the Island of Aellonia), the Sintarans, the Anomen (who lived amongst the Giants of the midlands), the Golnimen, the Mileans, the wise folk of Llyr, and the Thegnan Tribes that ran rampant over the Shores of the Moon and the Plain of Sorrow.
IV.1 – IV.1100 – The Foundation of the First Empire of Miles at the end of the span of the Milean League. The first Orc and Goblin War.
Vth Age – The foundation of the Second Empire of Miles after the civil wars. It fails in the days of Narandor II (Noranor II in common speech) under the onslaught of the Generals Sorcerous and the tyrant-god Galos.
VI1 – VI400 – Rise of the Khewedi Empire in the South and collapse of the Sorcerous State of Zesh. The Second Orc and Goblin War. The Elf-Dragon Wars.
VII1 – VII1200 – The Slaver-Empire of Essad comes to power in the North. By VII.410 the Essadi empire crumbles, defeated by numerous revolts within. The Third Orc and Goblin War.
VII. 660, the Elf land of Highstone throws off the Khewedi overlords and the Khewed kingdom retreats back to the South.
IIX1 – IIX800 – The conquering of Lumiä (as he contested wills with the hero Ozmiandre), his reincorporation into the pantheon until the advent of the Bleeding Plague.
Plague Years intervene here, not marked by an Age. Approx. 120?
IX1 – IX1017 – The end of the Bleeding Plague until the death of the last Milenean bloodline in Thyrnesse.
X1 – X501 – present day.
The Milean Week
Avaunus, Emineas, Aeron, Galus, Quinus, Heimirus, Heirus
regularized as: Avaundies, Emidies, Aerodies, Galies, Quinies, Heimiries, Haeries
The Elvish Week
Lyhpaivä, Mipaivä, Myrpaivä, Tapaivä, Kirpaivä, Olpaivä, Vasarpaivä
The Dwarven Week
Soldar, Mindar, Vindar, Sternedar, Skrivdar, Bryndar, Streidar
Celebrations and Festivals
- 1st of Thaw: The Day of Returning (rebirth festival dedicated to Eleia) Laefhart
- 7th of Thaw: 7th Night
- 10th of Greening: The Feast of Fools — The Feast of Fools is a day devoted to the alliance between the Laughing God and the Wind Lord. It is traditionally celebrated in mannish lands by the distribution of free ale by the Heimirans, as well as bread and cakes. The entire day is a festival atmosphere, and the bread and beer is often given with the approval of the local lord in rural areas.
- 15th of Festing: The Summer-feast (dedicated to the whole pantheon, but often associated with Heimir)
- 12th of Swording: Highsummer
- 17th of Swording: Festival of Fire — All the hearth and furnace gods and goddess of men are celebrated during the Festival of Fire. Hearthstones are changed, furnaces cleaned, the Osvean Priesthood changed in Miles, and other such maintenance tasks. It is a day of civil celebration that the state still exists and is renewed in the empire and a general “summer cleaning” in other lands.
- 3rd of Furrow: The Libernian Festival (dedicated to Raya)
- First Aeron of Hording: The Day of the Winds
- Third Galus of Reaping: Lastflame
- 10th of Reaping: Harvestide (another major Eleian festival, also known as Lammastide and, more popularly, Barleywend)
- 21st of Colding: The Long Night (dedicated to Akem)
Trident Isles Calendar
|Muharram||Safar||Rabi’ al-awwal||Rabi’ al-thani||Jumada al-awwal||Jumada al-thani||Rajab al-awwal||Sha’ban||Rajab al-thani||Shawwal||Dhu al-Qad||Al-Hijar|